Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A wall fell on me

I got switched to the day shift. All rookies get switched around for the first 4 months to get exposure to the different shifts. It is so boring during the day. All the action occurs at night.

My average of arrests has come down from 2-3 at night to 1 during the day. It’s a pretty high average thus far. I guess it’s something to be proud of. I’m positive that I have the highest average between me and my fellow academy mates scattered throughout the city, but I do have the unfair advantage of being on the Southside of town.

I keep getting asked why; when I had the choice to choose which part of town I want to go to, why I would choose the Southside. I told the sergeant in charge of assignments to send me where I am needed the most and where I will learn the most.

It seems everyone I talk to has a warrant out for their arrest. It’s not like I’m looking to arrest the common guy walking down the street for jaywalking. I’ve been taking some really bad people off the street.

The only excitement thus far on the day shift was when there was a report of a burglary in progress. Two other officers and I go to the back alley to prevent escape. I was asked to go into the back yard. I attempt to jump the 8 foot concrete wall when it falls on me. Isn’t that some sort of punishment in other parts of the world? How many career choices can there be that have the inherent risk of being exposed to having a wall fall on them?